Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2015

The Untold Story of Eskimos Jersey #49


When I was started playing football I was ten years old. It was pee-wee ball so the whole environment was fresh and new and exciting. The equipment was big and clunky and smelled of sweat.  And you don’t realize how small your head is until you are given your helmet. It was so big, it echoed inside when you spoke.
The generic white pants had faded grass stains on the knees, hips and butt. I remember thinking the guy who wore the pants before me probably wasn’t very good because he must have been tackled an awful lot. How he managed to get a grass stains on his butt, I’ll never know.
We were given practice jerseys too. It was an ugly chocolate brown with baseball t-shirt style sleeves,  similar to the game jerseys worn way back in the mid-1950’s. Today I wonder how it was able to stretch over the shoulder pads. It was in rough shape, with holes along the seams and fraying sleeves. It’s a miracle the thing held together after my mother washed it after each week of practice.
A big orange plastic number 10 was melted onto the fabric. At age 10, you’re kind of goofy about wearing clothing that identifies your age as well. I don’t think I’d wear a jersey with my age on it now.
The game jersey was another story. They were kept at some undisclosed location and handed out only on game days by a lady we called the Jersey Lady. When I picked up my equipment, she asked me what number I wanted. Thinking of my practice jersey, I immediately blurted “TEN.”
The Jersey Lady scrolled her clipboard, made a mark beside my name and dug into a box that looked like it had been sitting in her grandmother’s basement alongside jars of home-made pickles, mouse traps, and dusty suitcases.
She had no intention of giving me the number I asked for; it was pick a number out of a hat style. You get what you get.
I got number 49.
I was mortified.
“What an ugly number.” I thought. “No one likes players with number 49!”
And just like a scene out of a movie, the team quarterback came strutting on by wearing jersey number 10. I was angry at him for a week until I scored my first touchdown in our first game.
“You can have number 10. I’ll keep this one, thanks.”
I went on to score five more TDs that year wearing number 49. It wasn’t so bad after all.
So this got me thinking of all the players who have worn number 49 for the Eskimos.
Here’s the list of players by year:
1950 – DHB, Paul Alford
1952 – C, Gayle Page
1984 – 87 – LB, Frank Balkovec
2007 – LB/DE, Tim Cheatwood
2011 – 13 – LB, Mike Cornell
There were only five players to use Eskimo jersey 49, with the longest serving player being Frank Balkovec.
Here’s a few more interesting facts about players who wore Eskimo jersey 49:
  • Longest serving (consecutive seasons)Eskimo to wear jersey 49: LB Frank Balkovec
  • Except for Gayle Page who played Center in 1952, Eskimo jersey 49 has been worn by defensive players.
  • No touchdowns were ever scored by Eskimo jersey 49

STATS FROM ESKIMO JERSEY 49

  • Total games played: 49
  • Total seasons: 10
  • Total Grey Cups: 1 (Frank Balkovec 1987)
  • Total interceptions: 3 for 24 yds
  • Total sacks: 6
  • Total fumbles recovered: 3
  • Total defensive tackles: 14
  • Total special team tackles:  41
Upon further review, I gave Jersey 49 a bad rap. It wasn’t all that bad I guess.
I think I did the number proud.
I know the Jersey Lady would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment